MSC 5.1 Question

nathan engle nengle at copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Wed Jan 30 08:28:21 AEST 1991

In article <91026.223149ACPS2924 at Ryerson.Ca> ACPS2924 at Ryerson.Ca writes:
>Is it possible in MSC 5.1 to gain access to the registers directly.
>Turbo C has the _AX,_BX... pseudo-variables for them
>is this possible in MSC and if so HOW???
>

>Peter
>ACPS2924 at ryerson.ca

  Not directly from 5.1. Whenever I needed to get at my registers in 5.1
I would drop into assembler. There's a neat little microcontroller from
NEC called the V25 which is code compatible with the V20, and which WILL
allow you to access register contents directly. The '25 actually has 8
sets of registers which can be addressed either normally as registers or
they can also be mapped as memory locations (so you would find the
contents of a register by reading a memory location - SLOW but it
works).

  Direct access to the registers is much simpler in MSC6.0 using the
inline assembler. I don't think that there are C constructs for
referring to the registers, but I had never seen that as a problem.
Direct access to registers just means more reserved words and more rope
to hang yourself with (as if C programmers needed any more). What
exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Nathan Engle             Software Evangelist
Indiana University       Dept of Psychology
nengle at copper.ucs.indiana.edu