User introduced compiler warning, was Re: Behavior of #error

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed Jan 16 08:52:24 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan15.102423.12793 at watmath.waterloo.edu> datangua at watmath.waterloo.edu (David Tanguay) writes:
>I've been using our compiler's #pragma warning "string" directive lately ...
>It's much less ignorable than
>	/* someday we should renooberate the frozbit */

There are some problems with this.  The main one is that it only works
for one particular compiler implementation, so you may have to go through
the code and fix these when porting to another platform.

We use /* XXX -- someday we should renooberate the frozbit */ comments
instead; this stands out pretty darn well when editing the code and it's
easy to grep for all XXX comments.  Also, it doesn't keep blathering
every time the code is compiled.