indent and trust.

Adrian McCarthy adrian at mti.mti.com
Thu Jan 10 08:00:12 AEST 1991

In article <19626 at yunexus.YorkU.CA> oz at nexus.YorkU.CA (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>I, on the other hand, trust indent as much as I trust any C compiler I may
>need to use, provided the optimizer is off ;-).

Somebody pointed out to me that if you're afraid of compiler bugs, your best
bet is to leave the optimizer in the default mode, since that is the mode
that has been tested more.  For most compilers, this does mean leaving the
optimizer off, but for some (like VAX/VMS compilers), leaving the optimizer
on can be your better bet.  [A well-tested optimizer may actually "fix" a
problem created by the raw code generator. :-)]

Aid.  (adrian at gonzo.mti.com)