Behavior of #error preprocessor directive

Walter Bright bright at nazgul.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 09:20:12 AEST 1991

In article <1192 at van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jtc at van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) writes:
/Has anyone experimented with user-introduced warning messages in C? In
/any other language?  Do they work, or do programmers neglect to use
/them?  Is there a real need for such a feature?

Zortech C used to have #message and #exit pragmas, which would cause a
message to be printed during compilation and the compiler to terminate
compilation, respectively. I suggested them to the ANSI C committee, who
rejected the idea. The features were eventually removed due to complaints
about them not being ANSI C. No one complained about them being removed,
which I took to mean no one used them ...