Question about using void *

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sun Jan 20 19:20:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan18.225308.25139 at Solbourne.COM> imp at Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) writes:
>My question is: Is this portable?  Can I stuff an integer into a
>pointer and expect to get it back out again?

Any use of void* is not going to work on some pre-ANSI compilers.

It is not generally safe to try to convert an arbitary integral
value to a pointer.  While the implementation much provide SOME
integral type capable of holding a (properly converted) object
pointer, the converse is not required.  (Only for values
obtained by starting with a valid pointer.)

This is an ideal place to use a union type.