Wierd core dump on sparc-1

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Fri Jan 25 10:46:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.214110.1478 at cec1.wustl.edu> abed at saturn.wustl.edu (Abed M. Hammoud) writes:
>>Good idea.  Why didn't you try it before posting?

I did, several different ways.  I was going to try it some *more*...

>In article <1991Jan24.061653.22785 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at jit345.enet@tkou02.enet.dec.com (Norman Diamond) writes:
>	I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. (also on a sparc
>	1+ station). I was using a number of large arrays. by keeping
>	the same array sizes and changing their type from double to
>	float the problem disappear. So for some reason it seems it has
>	something to do with big arrays.

Aha!  I'm using big arrays of doubles as well.    A quick
:%s/double/float/g
produced a source, that when compiled, did *not* dump core.

For the file that uses doubles, I've also discovered that
cc -o foo foo.c
produces a file that *doesn't* dump core, while
cc -c foo.c
ld -o foo foo.o
produces a file that *does* dump core.

Looks like a 4.0.3c compiler bug.  We go to 4.1.1 in a couple of weeks,
so maybe I'll just wait and see if that "fixes" the problem.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet at uh.edu    Bitnet: jet at UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120