not really Re: Style guides and portability

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Tue Jan 15 16:45:40 AEST 1991

In a hastily-added postscript to article
<1991Jan13.182655.17672 at athena.mit.edu>, trying
overzealously to prove a point, I wrote:
>P.S. The answer to "How do you print something declared with
>`int32 bigint;' ?" is that you have to abandon printf in favor of
>something you define, like "print32".

In article <10608 at hydra.Helsinki.FI>, Lars Wirzenius asks:
>Is there any problem in using
>	printf("%ld", (long) bigint)
>other than that it's clumsy?

None whatsoever (as long as bigint is known to map to a built-in,
integral type, which in the problem under discussion, it was).
This is a much better solution.  (It's not even all that clumsy.)

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu