wildcard matching

Tony Bielobockie Tony.Bielobockie at urchin.fidonet.org
Fri Jan 4 09:12:36 AEST 1991

Steve Summit writes:

 >Oh, dear.  While I don't believe that computer "science" is a
 >hard enough science that those without formal training in it
 >should be deprecated, it is nevertheless the case that those
 >whose only exposure to it is through MS-DOS or other Microsoft
 >"operating systems" should realize that those "systems" are so
 >mind-bogglingly behind the state-of-the-art that extrapolation
 >based on them is bound to be embarrassingly futile.  For a long
 >time I had assumed that DOS's notion that "anything trailing the
 >'*' character is ignored anyway" was an outright bug in its
 >implementation, because most DOS manuals imply that a * matches
 >anything anywhere, not just at the end.

 The only persons that I discount are those that have reached the level
 of pomposity that you have.  MS-DOS does not implement wildcard
 matching properly (noticed in retrospect), OS/2 does.

 I can see your distaste for MS-DOS, which is more of a file loader
 than an operating system.  What is your beef with OS/2?  Are you
 perhaps just an anti-MicroSoft bigot?

 Finally, why are you so rude?  This is to be a discussion group
 where an exchange of ideas and knowledge takes place.  It is not
 your personal message arena where you are free to insult, and attempt
 to intimidate your fellow man.  Intimidation may have worked for you
 in the past, it however, will not work on me, it only goes further in
 proving what a egotistical jackass that you are.