Catching termination of child process and system() call

Paul Tomblin pt at geovision.uucp
Tue Jan 29 03:08:43 AEST 1991

gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jan25.022950.10683 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at jit345.enet@tkou02.enet.dec.com (Norman Diamond) writes:
>>>No, it's wait((int*)0) in all flavors of UNIX and POSIX.
>>No, it's wait((union wait *)0) in systems that implement the bogus attempt
>>that we all know about.
>No, it's wait((int*)0) in all flavors of UNIX and POSIX.

Sorry to add to this 'did not- did too' level of discussion, but a
"man 2 wait" on several machines shows the following results:

union wait *wait_id:

Dec RISC/Ultrix 4.0 on a DS 3100
Sun OS 4.0.1 on a Sun 3/60
Dec VAX/Ultrix 4.0 on a VaxStation 3600

int *wait_id:

Sun OS 4.1 on a Sun 4/360
AIX 3.1 on a RS/6000

and our VMS machine is temporarily down, so I can't check VMS 5.4, but it's
int *wait_id in the VAX C Language Summary for VMS 4.0+ and VAX C 2.0+.

So Doug: is Ultrix not a flavour of unix?  Tastes pretty close to the same to
me!
--
Paul Tomblin, Department of Redundancy Department.       ! My employer does
The Romanian Orphans Support Group needs your help,      ! not stand by my