int32 et al.

David Tanguay datangua at watmath.waterloo.edu
Wed Jan 23 23:03:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan21.135216.23447 at odi.com> benson at odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) writes:
|>But you didn't address the problems I pointed out, for example the
|>complete lack of ANY type whose size if precisely 32 bits in some
|>implementations.
|Well, if we ever hit such a beast, there's always
|typedef char [4] int32;

Which still isn't (necessarily) 32 bits. There is no guarantee that a char
is exactly 8 bits (36 bit machines use 9 bit chars, and I wouldn't be
surprised to see a 16 bit char on a 16 bit word machine like the
Honeywell DPS-6).
--
David Tanguay            Software Development Group, University of Waterloo