Do you trust the "indent" program?

Mark A Terribile mat at mole-end.UUCP
Tue Jan 1 14:15:03 AEST 1991

> In article <11742 at alice.att.com> ark at alice.UUCP () writes:
> >I don't need to -- I can compile my programs before and after
> >and compare the object files.  If they're not identical,
> >something's broken.

> Andrew is fortunate enough to be running on a Unix system that doesn't
> use COFF for it's object files --- COFF files have a timestamp in them.
> If you know where it is (I don't), you can arrange to strip off the
> COFF header and then compare the objects, but it is not as simple an
> operation as it used to be.

If you are on a System V family UNIX (or even a System III or System IV,
when they introduced the frotzenglarken timestamp into the COFF) you should
have the  -l  on your cmp; this will report differences in the two or three
bytes of timestamp and go running merrily onward.  It does make it harder
to do shell scripts that must stop if a problem arises, but if you are
using a shell with enough magic (like ksh) it's surely possible.

--

 (This man's opinions are his own.)
 From mole-end				Mark Terribile