to "OR" or not to "OR"

Ed Nilges egnilges at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Sat Jun 1 01:45:04 AEST 1991

In article <WORLEY.91May31100843 at sn1987a.compass.com> worley at compass.com (Dale Worley) writes:
>Various posters say:
>
>   >) I'm tired of Demorgan's law (a | b= !(a & b)) isnt there a way to get around

Boy, that's one for the books.  Yeah, I'm sick of the law of excluded
middle, Planck's constant, the speed of light, the law of comparative
advantage, and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.  Dale, was this for
real?  First this jerk announces that he's tired of DeMorgan's law and
then gets it wrong.  I'm tired of working with people like him (and
trying to teach C to students who cannot program in Cobol.)
Whatthehell, who cares, ah gots mah 486 and ah'll invade Iraq when the
going gets tough.
>   btw, isn't demorgan's law a|b = !(!a & !b)?
>
>In this case, it's: a|b == ~(~a & ~b) and a||b == !(!a && !b).
>Remember that |, &, and ~ are bitwise operators, while ||, &&, and !
>are logical operators.

Thank you very much, there's hope for mankind, you know what you're
talking about.