Can analysis detect undefined expressions?

Dale Worley worley at compass.com
Sat Jun 15 00:31:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun13.231924.3711 at ism.isc.com> willcr at bud.sos.ivy.isc.com (Will Crowder) writes:
   Determining at compile time of p could ever be equal to q would require
   exhaustive code path analysis, and this analysis has been shown to take
   longer than the estimated remaining lifespan of the galaxy for anything
   over a few lines.  (I can't remember that great quote I heard about it,
   or I'd put it in my .sig.)

Even worse, there is *no* algorithm which can do the job for all
programs, no matter *how* much time it is given.

Dale Worley		Compass, Inc.			worley at compass.com
--
It's one thing to burn down the shithouse, it's quite another to
install plumbing.	-- P.J. O'Rourke, on revolution