Heroic failures (q = q++)

Ian Collier imc at prg.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 26 20:59:02 AEST 1991

I have noticed quite a lot of talk recently about things like this...

In article <4210 at ksr.com>, jfw at ksr.com (John F. Woods) wrote:

>Note that because it is *undefined*, the compiler was perfectly at
>liberty to generate
>	q := 666	; special marker for evil constructs
>or
>	JSR _cpu$detonate
>or any other damned thing it liked.

Now I was just wondering, is there any statement in the ANSI standard
which prohibits self-destruction of the CPU or any similar behaviour
which might be physically dangerous or expensive? If not, do you think
such limits would be reasonable to include? I mean, I suppose it might
be quite easy to type:
 q = q--
instead of what you really meant:
 q = q-p
and if your computer were to blow up unexpectedly you might get
rather upset (if you were still alive to be upset, that is).

Oh yes,

Ian Collier
Ian.Collier at prg.ox.ac.uk | imc at ecs.ox.ac.uk