HELP, WE'RE DROWNING!!

Peter Holzer hp at vmars.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 26 18:07:34 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>In article <1991Jun24.163819.3125 at email.tuwien.ac.at> hp at vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) writes:
>>When I have have to work on an ASCII-Terminal, I see many
>>advantages. E.g. source code and compiler error messages are
>>simultaneously visible. If I have an X-terminal, still one advantage
>>remains. The debugger. Turbo-Debugger is the best debugger I have ever
>>seen. Dbx isn't more powerful, and not nearly as comfortable.

>I would suggest you try emacs, gcc, and gdb.

EMACS: This is mostly a religious question, but I hate programs that
are much larger than (I think) they need to be. If I see a file named
emacs.tar.Z which is 12MB large my fingers are already hunting for the
'r' and the 'm' :-). I have played around a little with emacs and I
didn't like it very much. If I had to use it I would rebind all the
keys to emulate vi, but I would still miss regular expressions (or does
emacs use them and the help-file didn't mention them?). What I would
really like is vi (yes I like dual-moded editors) with multiple buffers
and files, command-line history, and a sane macro-language (Any one got
a REXX-Interpreter? :-).

GCC: I am using it all the time.

GDB: If you know of a port of gdb to the DECstation, I would be glad to
hear of it. I know that Michael Meissner put a "lot of ugly hacks" (his
words, not mine) into gcc to make it produce Ultrix-dbx compatible
debugging info, I don't know if he ever tried to port gdb. There wasn't
a gdb version for DECstations last time I looked.
--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |