Writing a data-base...

Andy Bereson andy at honda.ece.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 8 07:39:47 AEST 1991

I need to write a simple database manager for a large database.  We have
tried dBase but have decided that it (and PC's in general) are too
unreliable, so we are now looking for a way to do this with a UNIX based
system on one of our HP workstations.  I have writen a such a database
system before in C, but under the VMS operating system.  VMS gives the C
programmer access to a number of exciting functions that can handle
indexing files, random access of files, deleting and editing records in
the middle of files, locking individual records within files, etc...  all
of the function that a data-base package such as dBase gives you.
Unfortunatly, these functions were all built into VMS and are VMS
specific.  I am wondering if there is some UNIX based package or UNIX
library that would be helpful with some of these file manipulation tasks.

Please mail responses directly to me at "bereson at cs.uiuc.edu".  I do not
read this newsgroup regularly and so I am likely to miss your helpful
suggestions otherwise.

Thanx in advance for your help...

Andy