volatile keyword - what does it mean?

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Wed Jun 19 15:08:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.003124.28290 at viewlogic.com> kenc at suntan.viewlogic.com (Kenstir) writes:
>It seems that GCC is assuming that `mbuf' is a pointer to a volatile
>object, but that doesn't do me any good...
>    volatile char *mbuf;

Though perhaps not immediately obvious, the answer can be found
in the comp.lang.c frequently-asked questions list:

30.  What's the difference between "char const *p" and "char * const p"?

A:   "char const *p" is a pointer to a constant character (you can't
     change the character); "char * const p" is a constant pointer to a
     (variable) character (i.e. you can't change the pointer).  (Read
     these "inside out" to understand them.  See question 63.)

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu