Running long memory intensive programs!

Amitava Das amitava at ei.ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Jun 13 06:37:54 AEST 1991

   A beginner's question befor i invest on a compiler for my newly acquired PC

         I plan to write long memory and cpu intensive ( i am not overly
interested in nice graphics in window) programs in either fortran or c & c ++.
these will primarily be automating electrical machine design problems (such
as desigining a huge power transformer, i know they will be slow, but that's ok
if i could run at all). i will need to
define large arrays, so, i need as much memory as i can. i have 4M of
"EXTENDED" RAM. My system is 80386, 33MHz, IBM Compatible. DOS 4.01

1)          Can the PC compilers (for example, Boreland C++, or Microsoft
Fortran or other cheaper Fortran compilers) make use of the extended
memory automatically, or do i need to  call the compiler from operating
system environments such as Disqview 386 or Windows to make use of the
extended memory? In other words, does the compiler need an extended
memory manager to make use of the extended memory?

2) is there any limitation on how much lines of code, and how many
arrays these compilers can support or these are determined by the
system hardware? any suggestion about compilers which are not too
expensive, and not too fancy but will allow me run large programs.

       thanks a lot for your time.
       any suggestion about any specific brand of not-very-expensive
compiler will be highly appreciated.
      thanks

                         amitava at ecn.purdue.edu