Microsoft/Borland C/C++

Bizee Bee - Simon C. S.Culverhouse at lut.ac.uk
Thu Jun 6 04:39:49 AEST 1991

 Hi,

 I have been programming (on a PC compat.) in C since 1986.  I started by using
 WordStar to write the source and compiling it with Microsoft C V.4.  Since then
 I have moved up to Microsoft C V.5.1 with QuickC included.

 I now use QuickC to prototype, and MS-C 5.1 optimizing compiler to produce the
 final code.  I am now considering taking up C++, as many people have sugested
 it to me.  Because of this, there are a couple of things I would like to know:

 1) What are the main advatages of C++ over C, are there any ?

 2) Are Microsoft bringing out a version of C++ in the near future ?

 I have experimented with Borland Turbo C++ on a friend's PC, to compare it with
 my Microsoft QuickC / Cv5.1.  So far I have been unimpressed with Turbo C++,
 especially with the environment.  Although the code I used, developed under
 QuickC, usually compiled first time, without any problems, on the Turbo C++, I
 found that it took longer to do so, and indicated that it was eating up memory,
 at such a rate, that if I had tried to compile anything larger, it would not
 have coped.  It also looked to me, as though MS-C actually produced faster code
 especially with screen handling routines.

 In general I still prefer good old Microsoft C, and am relutant to change.  I
 am however open to suggestions and views on the two compilers, and would
 apreciate any mail from other MS / Turbo C users.

 Thank You.

*  Simon C. - the Bizee Bee.                    Elvyn Richards Hall           *
*                                               University of Technology      *
*                                               Loughborough                  *
*                                               LE11 - 3UQ.                   *
*  Mail address:  S.Culverhouse at uk.ac.lut                                     *
**************** Ich danke Ihnen fuer Ihre Aufmerksamkeit ! *******************