Teaching C as first programming language

Kit Cosper cosper at seq.uncwil.edu
Fri Jun 21 22:45:10 AEST 1991

chapmans at motcid.UUCP (Simon ( Grouchy Babes ) Chapman) writes:

			[deleted stuff]

>I'm not overly sold on the idea of giving anyone K & R as a
>learning exercise either. I regularly recommend Stephen Kochan's
>C books as good beginning C books.

	I just go through the first semester of C and had a blast.
	We used Kochan's _Programming in C_, which I found to be
	a most friendly text for the neophyte programmer.  I also
	purchased K&R as a reference ( it's also used in the second
	semester to follow up after Kochan ) and, aside from some
	lib functions at the end of the semester I didn't get much
	mileage this go 'round.  Not that it isn't a good book, IMHO
	it's excellent, just a little advanced for the beginner.

	At this university C is now "the" intro language.  I had BASIC
	years ago (~10) and had no problems with taking C and FORTRAN
	concurrently.  Actually, I found C easier than FORTRAN.

>IMHO. ;-) Flame off. Where's the vodka.

	Not here! I'm whiskey man

> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Simon Chapman    Motorola CID. UK.                 "Go UCD Aggies !!"      |
> | UUCP     : ...uunet!motcid!pyramid!chapmans                                |
> | Internet : motcid!pyramid!chapmans at uunet.uu.net                            |
> | Phone    : +44 793 545425 (international)    (0793) 545425 (domestic)      |

Kit

--

Kit Cosper
cosper at seq.uncwil.edu
Donations  of witty or thoughtful comments appreciated