Running long memory intensive programs!

David M Geary dmg at ssc-vax
Sat Jun 15 04:16:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun13.160602.23726 at afit.af.mil> dlindsle at afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) writes:
>From a design standpoint, you'd be better off with C++, I think.
>
>However, it does so by using the Phar Lap (memory management?)
>software.  We have had this here at AFIT for about six months; as far
>as I know, we haven't even been able to get Watcom's demo programs
>(supplied with the compiler) to work.  (The people trying to get it
>to work are electrical & computer engineers, FYI.)
>
>You need a compiler that will compile 386 code.  As far as I know,
>what these things basically do is raise an exception or some signal
>which puts the CPU into (386) protected mode.  Now you've got your
>4GB segments, and the program can run.  When it's done, the CPU goes
>back into whatever mode it was in.

  I have been involved for about 2 years writing a GUI which
  consumes quite a bit of memory at run time.  I developed it under
  Unix, and all was rosy until I went to port to the PC ;-(

  After many headaches trying to deal with the brain-dead DOS
  architecture, we finally purchased PharLap's DOS Extender.  It has
  worked like a charm.  We have not fully ported to PC yet, but most
  of the technical problems we had have been solved by using
  PharLap's product.  I highly recommend it.

>Anyway, like I said, you need a compiler that "speaks 386".  I like
>Borland's compilers, but I'm not sure if they've got a 386 line.  I
>know Zortech does, though.  Have you considered getting Unix for your
>386?

  Well, we used MS C 5.0 along with PharLap's DOS Extender and
  things have turned out well.  We support many customers internal
  to Boeing, and it was not a feasible thing to have to tell our
  customers that they had to install Unix on their PCs to run our
  product.

  Check out PharLap's DOS Extender.  It works.
--
|~~~~~~~~~~       David Geary, Boeing Aerospace, Seattle, WA.       ~~~~~~~~~~|
|~~~~~~  Seattle:  America's most attractive city... to the *jetstream* ~~~~~~|