Explanation, someone??

Fred Christiansen fredch at quad4.UUCP
Thu Jun 27 05:33:16 AEST 1991

>From article <33641 at usc.edu>, by burzin at skat.usc.edu (Burzin N. Engineer):
>> Hi,
>> 	I just gave an interview which had a C quiz ..

Sounds like you interviewed at Microsoft (what they gave me was a tad diff).

>> char *c[] = {"ENTER", "NEW", "POINT", "FIRST"};
>> char **cp[] = { c+3, c+2, c+1, c};
>> [Then, a bunch of cryptic ptr stuff]

>> Another one is :
>> char input[] = "SSSWILTECH1\1\11W\1WALLMP1";
>> [Switch inside a loop]

When I taught at Portland State U a couple years back, these were precisely
two of the questions on the final prepared by the previous adjunct prof.
I felt that spending the time to run them thru such a beast as the first
was probably ill spent as it was not "real life", IMHO.  While the second
is equally non "real life", it is simpler to understand...so I stole it 8-)
and used variations on the theme on the finals I gave.  Hmm, wonder where
the original is from?  The Obfuscated C Contest?
Fred Christiansen     |  Email:  fredch at phx.mcd.mot.com
Motorola TSD (DW278)  |     or:  uunet!phx.mcd.mot.com!fredch
2900 S. Diablo Way    |  Voice:  602-438-3464
Tempe, AZ  85282      |    Fax:  602-438-3836
  Contentment:  Knowing that the more I release earthly possessions, the more
    I can grasp eternal treasures (cf.  II Corinthians 4:18).