Evaluation of if's

Frank P. Bresz fpb at ittc.wec.com
Thu Jun 6 23:03:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun5.014758.10616 at wdl1.wdl.loral.com> bard at cutter.ssd.loral.com (J H Woodyatt) writes:
[ some of the thread removed ]

>Is this really undefined by ANSI? I suppose we need someone with the STANDARD to
>resolve this. (I'm politely assuming that there is a good reason for wanting to
>though I'm unable to think of one.)

	I am guessing you mean why in heaven's name do I want to do this,
when it's blatantly ridiculous.

	Well actually since the post is for a friend I don't,  and in fact
neither does he.  He is using C++ and this code is generated for him from
the C++ preprocessor. (AT&T I think).

	He is however C literate (unlike some others in his organization),
and delved into the generated C to try and decide why their code was
behaving differently on 2 different machines.  This is a small test he
created showing the problem.

	The other C++ people in his group of course thought that clearly
one of the compiler vendors must be wrong and that they should be able to
call someone to get this fixed (yes corporate mindset).  He wanted to
isolate it to a programmer misunderstanding (which it is).

	On the C++ side it was not as blatantly ridiculous (or so he tells
me).

	Thank you all very much.