Running long memory intensive programs!

LEEK at QUCDN.QueensU.CA LEEK at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Fri Jun 14 03:45:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun12.203754.9356 at noose.ecn.purdue.edu>,
amitava at ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) says:

>   A beginner's question befor i invest on a compiler for my newly acquired PC
>
>         I plan to write long memory and cpu intensive ( i am not overly
>interested in nice graphics in window) programs in either fortran or c & c ++.
>these will primarily be automating electrical machine design problems (such
>as desigining a huge power transformer, i know they will be slow, but that's
>ok
>if i could run at all). i will need to

C++ would be useful as you can do complex number operations. (I am in power
option :( My boss is excited to see stuff switched to C !!)

>define large arrays, so, i need as much memory as i can. i have 4M of
>"EXTENDED" RAM. My system is 80386, 33MHz, IBM Compatible. DOS 4.01
[stuff deleted]

>Any suggestion about compilers which are not too
>expensive, and not too fancy but will allow me run large programs.

Get DJ's GCC port to DOS.  Good price - it cost $0.00.  It has the usual
GNU distribution policy.  (Use Borland C++ for developement & debugging)

It works only with 386 and uses protected mode (with supplied DOS extender) to
allow up to 256 megabytes for virtual memory (from extended memory & disk space
)  Shouldn't have problems with huge arrays.  The readme file said try a
malloc(50*1024*1024) some day :)  It is designed to compile Unix style programs
not the cheapo DOS stuff. You might want to get a 387 chip as right now all math
stuff are done using the 387.  There is a test version of 387 emulation routines
included too.

It is available at ftp sites around you or you can ftp toll free anonymous
at grape.ecs.clarkson.edu to get your copy.  Directory: pub/msdos/djgcc
You might want to get the readme file to find out whether or not this is what
you want before wasting bandwidth to download the 2.2 megabytes worth of .ZIP
file.

>                         amitava at ecn.purdue.edu

K. C. Lee      (Amiga computer hardware hacker)
"Operators are standing by... " :)
No.  I don't own a PC nor a clone, but have to work with one to earn a living.