C language book recommendations

chaplin chaplin at keinstr.uucp
Wed Jun 5 07:23:17 AEST 1991

In article <741 at taumet.com> steve at taumet.com (Stephen Clamage) writes:
>Look over the material again.  In their book, H&S are not presenting only
>ANSI C.  They are trying to cover the range of C implementations which have
>been at all widely used.  If you have to write code for a variety of C
>implementations, or understand some moldy old code written for some
>system you do not have access to, this book will help.  It explains all
>the common things which have been done, and how you can get your code
>to work.

>Steve Clamage, TauMetric Corp, steve at taumet.com

I have the 2nd Edition, which has a separate chapter dealing with "draft
proposed ANSI C".  I personally prefer this approach, exactly for the
reason you mention: not all the compilers I use are ANSI.  Perhaps the
other changes in the 3rd Edition (I assume there are some) would make
it worthwhile to have.
--
Roger Chaplin / Instruments Division Engineering | "There are two types of
chaplin at keinstr.uucp / CI$: 76307,3506           | people: those who divide