stdin and the keyboard

Alessandro Rubini rubini at ipvvis.unipv.it
Fri Jun 28 02:47:44 AEST 1991

Mike Dowell (mdowell at dante.nmsu.edu) writes:

>   I am trying to write a replacement for the DOS more command.  I would
> like it to function as closely like the original as possible,
> therefore piping of commands is needed, ie  dir | more.
>   I can't get it to recognize the keyboard and the input command
> separate instead of both being the stdin.
>   I am running Borland C++ on a PC if that helps any.

I use MSC, but I think It's the same.
Getch _does_ read stdin, though the library reference
   claims it reads the keyboard.
You should read the keyboard through int86(16H,...), usable also to flush
   the input buffer. Of course, you're killing portability...

If you're not familiar with INTs I can give you a little inkey(), allowing
   you to filter the input, too. I wrote it to implement F1-HELP.

Ru.
--

Alessandro Rubini                     Almo Collegio Borromeo
                                      Piazza Borromeo 9