Evaluation of if's

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Mon Jun 10 05:53:00 AEST 1991

In article <14011 at dog.ee.lbl.gov> I wrote, in part:
>... The value of an assignment is the value of the right hand
>side, converted to the type of the left hand side.

I have since checked the wording of the standard, and it does not say
this at all.  Indeed, it almost (but does not quite) imply the opposite.
Since this really only matters with respect to `volatile', and since
volatile is implementation-defined anyway, it turns out that one can
say nothing at all about how

	a = b = c;

statements work, beyond this: if a and b are aliases for the same
object (e.g., if a and b are replaced with *p and *q respectively,
and p and q both point to the same object), all bets are off.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov