Running long memory intensive programs!

Marcell Stoer mstoer at sol.UVic.CA
Tue Jun 18 00:19:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun17.053203.29029 at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> ragrawal at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Rajiv Agrawal) writes:
>Has anybody tried out the latest FORTRAN from Microsoft ie. V 5.1?  It has
>some library to run program under Windows that can suck up all the
>extended memory.

Do you seriuously want to run under Windows?  It's slow enough as is.  I for
one want fast execution.  I use a 25MHz 386 with 387 and 4M of extended
memory.  Windows is still slow.  I prefer WATCOM FORTRAN 77/386, I did have to
buy a DOS extender (Pharlap's), but it was worth it.  IT's fast, it comes
with a great compiler package, ie debugger, profiler ... IT is also
compatible with WATCOM C 386 so you can link applications.  All WATCOM
software uses the same compiler tools, which means that all you have is
seperate compilers, include files and libraries, everything else is the
same.

I have used MS Fortran, never Lahey, but MS is definitely not in the league
with these other compilers.  That's usually the case though with MS
software.

just my 2 cents worth,
-ms

--