SNR (was: declaring defines)

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at hopi.intel.com
Fri Jun 21 13:49:37 AEST 1991

In article <2574 at gold.gvg.tek.com> shaunc at gold.gvg.tek.com (Shaun Case) writes:
>In article <1997 at nixsin.UUCP> koerber.sin at sni.de writes:
>>Maybe we really need a moderated comp.lang.c.wizards, for those questions that
>>really attract the gurus and human lints out there.
>
>I think that it is high time for such a group.
>Moderation is a must; the noise

No, all it does is put the burden of culling valuable
opinion onto the shoulders of one individual, whose
very acceptance of the job would his/her competence
into question.

Far from increasing bandwidth (REAL bandwidth:  the measure
of maximum rate of transmission of INFORMATION through a
channel) it decreases it, and inserts an evaluative/
administrative/bidirectional-transmission delay into the flow.

I've never seen a moderated group that I considered more
than a curiosity.  If you want moderation, send your ideas
to The C Users' Journal (write to:  P.J. Plauger, Senior
Editor, The C Users Journal, 2601 Iowa St., Lawrence, KS
66046; (913) 841-1631) or The Journal of C Language
Translation (Rex Jaeschke, Journal of C Language
Translation, 2051 Swan's Neck Way, Reston, VA  22091; (703)
860-0091).

CUJ has a mid-to-high-level editorial bent, designed
to give valuable information without leaving novice
users in the cold, and tends toward PC-style C without
leaving mini/mainframe C users uninformed.

JOCLT, on the other hand, is a scientific publication
dedicated to the advancement of the understanding,
development, and implementation of compilers (or, more
generally, "translators"), and tends editorially toward
reference and investigative articles.

Comp.lang.c, on the third (and final) hand, is exactly the
place to go to hash out your misunderstandings about your
oft-obscured point of view of the gaggle of languages we
occasionally categorize as C.

Moderating won't help.  It'll just increase the length
of the "Newsgroups:" line.

				--Blair
				  "If you want to learn in the way
				   intelligent people have learned