cc68k gnu crosscompiler SPARC/68k20 exits w signal 11

D'Anne Thompson dat at noao.edu
Fri Jun 14 02:50:43 AEST 1991

We just encountered the same problem about 4 hours before the net message
arrived.  Our situation is this:

System was just moved from a Sun3/80 host using native SUN compiler, to
a Sparc SLC host using VxWorks GNU Toolkit.
We recompiled over 250 modules using cc68k before encountering this one.
Error message is "as exits with signal 11".  Core dump is 8,65x,xxx bytes.
Problem is with a single module.  All other modules (>300) compiled first
time and every time.

Using cc68k -S generates a good looking assembly output file that assembles
just fine using as68k. (Repeated sequences of cc68k -S and as68k worked
everytime).

In trying repeated attempts to use a normal cc68k -c sequence, it took
12 tries before success.  Continued efforts had the same results, about
1 success in 12 tries.

Perhaps this helps.

D'Anne Thompson
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
P.O. Box 26732
Tucson, AZ 85726
(602) 325-9335
dat at noao.edu  {...}!uunet!noao.edu!dat