HELP, WE'RE DROWNING!!

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Tue Jun 25 17:39:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun24.163819.3125 at email.tuwien.ac.at> hp at vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) writes:
>When I have have to work on an ASCII-Terminal, I see many
>advantages. E.g. source code and compiler error messages are
>simultaneously visible. If I have an X-terminal, still one advantage
>remains. The debugger. Turbo-Debugger is the best debugger I have ever
>seen. Dbx isn't more powerful, and not nearly as comfortable.

I would suggest you try emacs, gcc, and gdb.  compile-mode in emacs will let
you go to the line of the error; gdb-mode in emacs points out the line
currently under inspection.  More, emacs can be reprogrammed relatively
easily to handle *your* particular preferences.  Also, emacs can work with
any C compiler (well, almost any... all that I know of).

>Yes, I miss vi. But using the integrated environment is faster than using
>vi, make and a debugger.

Again, try emacs and gdb.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

>>- "text" vs "binary" stupidity in the I/O libraries

This is mandated by non-unix os's which think that file's should not be
streams of characters; also, other OS's (such as MS-DOS, although that's not
the only one) do not have '\n' as the sole End-Of-Line sequence.  It isn't
generally a problem.

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "What *does* that 33 do?  I have no idea."
sef at kithrup.COM  |           -- Chris Torek