Is simple assignment allowed with structs

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sun Mar 31 08:24:28 AEST 1991

In article <AJ3U.91Mar30161251 at wilbury.ra.cs.virginia.edu> aj3u at wilbury.ra.cs.virginia.edu (Asim Jalis) writes:
>The assignment from all appearances seems to copy both the fields of a
>to b.  My question is, is such assignment legal.  Can I expect other
>compilers to support this?  Or should I explicitly assign the fields
>to ensure portability.

Structure assignment has been an official part of C since around 1978.
While there MAY be some things loosely called "C compilers" that do not
support this, all the current C compilers that I know of do support it.
Since the C standard requires it for conforming implementations, there
should be no future C compilers that do not understand this.

>I tried adding two structs and that did not work.

Of course not.  What would it mean?