Funny mistake

Scott Amspoker scott at bbxsda.UUCP
Thu Mar 21 01:24:57 AEST 1991

In article <525 at bria> uunet!bria!mike writes:
>[ in regards to the expression "if (a = b)" instead of "if (a == b)" ]
>
>Think *lint*.  IMHO, there is nothing we need less than a compiler spitting
>out more useless verbage.

The only problem with that is that many PC based C compilers don't include
a lint program.  It makes sense that the programmer at least have the option
of enabling various warning messages.  Strangely enough, I once comitted
the exact opposite mistake.  I had a C statement like this:

	    i == j;

The compiler (bless its little heart) gave me the warning:

	"code has no effect"

--
Scott Amspoker                       | Touch the peripheral convex of every
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM | kind, then various kinds of blaming