Func Protos with K&R Func Defs

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Mar 13 05:19:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.052025.18801 at athena.mit.edu> scs at adam.mit.edu writes:
> If there are compilers getting this wrong, let's get 'em fixed
> now, before they induce too many people to write incorrect code.
> Name names here, or in comp.std.c, if you have to.

Lattice C for the Amiga seems to accept prototypes with narrow
arguments and old-style definitions in the same scope.

> I think "the folks who are having so much trouble writing code"
> are, for the most part, making their own lives miserable
> by insisting on trying to declare "narrow" arguments -- char,
> short, and float.  "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do that!"
> "Well, then don't do that."

Well, I don't know. I keep seeing people saying things like "I tried to
get this working both with and without prototypes, and finally gave up."
Or "I think this should work on a pre-ANSI compiler" followed by gobs
of complaints. And all the people saying "for portability, for now, stick
to K&R1".
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com