declarations using pointers to functions

Will Crowder willcr at bud.sos.ivy.isc.com
Fri Mar 22 03:45:03 AEST 1991

In article <11208 at dog.ee.lbl.gov>, torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:

|> In article <1991Mar20.201937.6088 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
|> gordon at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
|> (John Gordon) writes:

[Actually, I wrote the document in question and posted it several months
ago in response to slew of "how do I declare..." questions.]

|> >     [] 	as "array of"
|>
|> Actually, since there are only two cases where the brackets may be empty,
|> I would suggest instead reading
|>
|> 	[N]	as "array N of"
|>
|> and
|> 	[]	as "array ? of"
|>
|> and NEVER forget the sizes until The Rule allows you to do so.

Agreed.  However, at the time, I was trying to keep things simple, but
you've brought up a valuable point.  I think I'll add The Rule (see
original article; don't want to quote too much!) to a little C declaration
syntax checker I've been hacking, er, uh, working on...  :) :)

Will