Func Protos with K&R Func Defs

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Tue Mar 12 04:27:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar8.204142.14568 at athena.mit.edu> scs at adam.mit.edu writes:
> >This seems to rather the optimisations that an ANSI compiler
> >can make...

> There's a missing, so I can't figure out what comment this makes
> on ANSI prototypes.

The missing is "limit", you should be able to that from context. Just
at the sentence for a while, and it will make.

> The rules relating prototyped and old-style
> functions are somewhat complicated, but they make sense, and are
> formulated correctly to allow maximum interoperability (and, yes,
> portability) between the two forms.

Perhaps there should be a lengthy and detailed discussion on this in
the std or an associated docco, because of the compilers that get it
wrong and all the folks who are having so much trouble writing code
that satisfies both sides. I sure haven't found the balance yet.

Sigh...
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com