prototypes, NULL, and magic

Wayne Throop throopw at sheol.UUCP
Sun Mar 24 13:37:27 AEST 1991

- torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek)
- But alas, the new BSD man pages are going to continue to talk blithely
- about `NULL' as if the compiler worked magic.  Fortunately, in this case
- all the new man pages will say
-        #include <foo.h>
- and <foo.h> will contain all the necessary prototypes, so if you follow
- the man page, you will have a prototype in scope, and the compiler *will*
- work magic....

Remembering what Chief Dan George's character said about magic in Little
Big Man, I am moved to ask: what about the execl(2) family of functions,
or other like (varargs) cases? (Gosh, I hope this answer isn't in the
FAQ...  I don't recall it from my last reading anyway...)
--
Wayne Throop  ...!mcnc!dg-rtp!sheol!throopw