Is this ok??

EWD gould at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 8 05:20:14 AEST 1991

In article <DAVIS.91Mar6213546 at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> davis at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:
>Hi,
>
>   The following code works on sun4 and ultrix but crashes on VMS.  Just when
>I thought I understood pointers.....

>      return(0);
>
>I expect to `hello' but I fail on VMS.  I get a `symbolic dump stack ...'.
>What is wrong???

It's been a while, but I believe the bottom line is that any useful
C program on VMS must include a '$'.

You need to #include some SYS$SYSDEF$DARKSIDEOFTHEFORCE file in some
VMS specific include systax, then you have to #define your exit statuses
in terms of the '$' infested constants therein, then you need to
#define corresponding exit statuses for other platforms...
But don't complain:  The discipline will put you in Mr. Portable
mode for the rest of your career.

On the brighter side, at least on VMS you can walk and chew gum
at the same time without the horrors of execles and sockets and
children and signals.  Give me a Unix with async io and endaction
routines...

Eliot W. Dudley                       edudley at rodan.acs.syr.edu
RD 1, Box 66
Cato, New York   13033                315 437 0215