Efficient STRing CoMPares?

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Thu Mar 21 18:03:10 AEST 1991

In article <15537 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>It is also possible for <string.h> to #define strcmp __strcmp and have
>the compiler in-line __strcmp instead of strcmp.  This may make it
>slightly easier for the implementation to support access to the
>external-function definition of strcmp mentioned in my first paragraph.

ANSI C still has the requirement that

	#undef	strcmp

(after including <string.h>) give the user the version from the library,
doesn't it?  (A footnone in one of the sections; I don't have my copy with
me, so I can't give explicit details.)  In any event, that footnote seemed
to indicate pretty well how the committee thought intrinsics should be
handled...

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."