Efficient STRing CoMPares?

Paul F Smith psmith at iies.ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Mar 21 07:36:15 AEST 1991

>In article barton at cbnewsk.att.com (jim.m.barton) writes:
>
>	struct chunk
>		{
>		char *c_ptr;
>		unsigned int c_hash;
>		};

>You can also write great little symbol table implementations
>using hashing, and the hash values don't even have to take up
>extra space (they're implicit in the bucket or slot indices).
 ^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

>                                            Steve Summit
>                                            scs at adam.mit.edu

OK, I won't ask about a string hash function :-), but could you
please elaborate on how your symbol table works. I just implemented a
hash table that keeps the hash value around (like your struct above),
which I then use in scanning the list at the given bucket to minimize
strcmp()s.  But, I can't see how you can get rid of it and still reduce
the number of strcmp()s. Please describe, Thanks!

Paul F. Smith - ADPC - Purdue University     psmith at ecn.purdue.edu
<someday I'll think of something profound to put here, maybe>