file descriptor vs file handle

Zack C. Sessions session at uncw.UUCP
Wed Mar 6 05:15:49 AEST 1991

richter at immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Joachim Richter) writes:

>In article <1021 at uncw.UUCP> session at uncw.UUCP (Zack C. Sessions) writes:
>[13 lines deleted]
>>of it's data structure. Files which you access with File Descriptors
>>use the fopen, printf and scanf constructs, fread, fwrite, and
>>fclose (plus others). The distinct difference between the two is

>Is it really true, that you don't know that fopen returns a FILE * ?

No, not true. I was using not exactly correct terminology, but
I was trying to get the point across to a question which really wasn't
"asked right" anyway. What I was referring to as a File Descriptor
is what my C manual calls a "pointer to a file structure (file
pointer)". The "other" was IO is performed with my C compiler is
in "raw" mode designed to work with direct system calls. It uses
an int variable to store what it calls the "path number".

Zack Sessions
session at uncw.UUCP