Divide and C

HARM at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU HARM at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Mar 30 04:01:20 AEST 1991

An unportable but fun way;
         waste some space to make your storage 2i X 2j
         use the binary representation of the index
                 clip it between 2j and 2(j+1) with mask
                 shift upper to byte boundary and evaluate
both numbers determined by shift and mask. Kept in registers
could be pretty quick. if dimensions are under 256X256 it
could even maintain a great deal of portability.

       Would have sent to you directly but !'s are confusing to my
mailer.

       For that which has spewn forth, blame not my company, my university,
nor my country.  'Tis my own thoughts bubbled over's all.  Blame most
properly the oversugaring of coffee by me.
                                               Jim Harm
                            SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU