trouble with macro`s

Roy Johnson rjohnson at shell.com
Fri Mar 22 02:42:53 AEST 1991

In article <15523 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> That's a short-sighted attitude.  We KNOW such code will quit "working"
> some day.  That should be sufficient reason to find a better solution
> that does not depend on errors in the C implementation.

Such as...?  I suggested a kludge that I know works in the present.  If
that's all he needs, I've given him a working solution.  If the code
will eventually need to be recompiled (which we do not know), then the
documentation should include the relatively small changes required to
get it up to snuff -- and he knows what those changes are, since he
needed a kludge to work around them in the present.  Please explain why
working with what you have, with an eye on the future is short-sighted.

P.S. Thanks for clarifying my confusion on hex/oct constants.  I was
pretty sure about the dec-hex-oct equivalence, but not about differing
bit-representations.

--
======= !{sun,psuvax1,bcm,rice,decwrl,cs.utexas.edu}!shell!rjohnson =======
Feel free to correct me, but don't preface your correction with "BZZT!"