using "=" in a conditional (was Funny Mistake)

Sven Heinicke sven at cs.widener.edu
Thu Mar 21 11:46:19 AEST 1991

In <11195 at dog.ee.lbl.gov>, torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov writes:
>In article <1991Mar20.031419.3677 at isis.cs.du.edu>
>cla at isis.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) writes:
>>You can do a nice string copy with this construct as well:
>>   while (*dest++ = *source++);

When I read something like this I automaticely think not equal to zero.

>Of course, you can also write it as:
>
>	while ((*dest++ = *source++) != 0)	/* or != '\0' */
>		/* void */;

And when I am typing c code, rather often my thincking goes much faster then
my typing, especialy with the the five kinds of key boards I normally use (IBM
PC, VT101, VT330, sunwork station and macintosh) and all of those symbols slow
me down.  If I can pal to go through my program ofterwords I sometime put
in the != 0 but only in cases that get rather complicated arguments in c.

--
sven at cs.widener.edu                                  Widener CS system manager
Sven Mike Heinicke                                          and Student