One more point regarding = and == (more flamage)

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at hopi.intel.com
Wed Mar 27 14:39:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar22.195200.11719 at dg-rtp.dg.com> hagins at gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) writes:
>In article <3182 at inews.intel.com>, bhoughto at pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>|> It's called top-down design, and involves _thinking_ before
>|> you start making mistakes.
>
>You know, I used to think this way too, while I was still an amateur.

Junior, there was a time when a loose characterization like
that would've met with the rending of your terminal
screen.  (Check with anyone in talk.politics.misc,
alt.flame, or talk.bizarre, if you need a suitable
strain-guage.)  But now I'm just a tired, old man trying to
teach people to say what they mean, mean what they say, and
avoid making the rest of us have to wade through their
half-assed, no-value-added attempts at self-documenting code.

				--Blair
				  "Besides, another thousand lines by Friday
				   morning and I'll earn me a bonus the size
				   of your mortgage.  When was the last time
				   DG handed you anything other than a
				   Christmas Turkey?"