Funny mistake

Larry Campbell campbell at redsox.bsw.com
Wed Mar 20 12:49:02 AEST 1991

In article <8148 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com> stan at Dixie.Com (Stan Brown) writes:
->Hell, I have no idea what "fct" is for; but that remains me my mistakes,
->a VERY hard to catch one, because the string (see below) is still perfect
->C code (like that above - no SYNTAX error there!) :
-
->"if (a = b)" instead of "if (a == b)".
-
-	Some compilers will report this as a suspicous occurence.  The
-	one I think I remember this on is Zortech, but I have yet to
-	see a UNIX compiler complain about it,  The lint on my mchine
-	doesn't complain eithe.  I wonder if anybody's does ?

Under SVR4:

    /home/campbell> cat test.c
    #include <stdio.h>

    void foo(int a, int b)
    {
        if (a = b)
            (void) printf("yow!\n");
    }
    /home/campbell> lint -u test.c
    (5) warning: assignment operator "=" found where "==" was expected

    set but not used in function
        (3) a in foo

I think the lint that comes with it is itself reason enough to run SVR4.
--
Larry Campbell             The Boston Software Works, Inc., 120 Fulton Street
campbell at redsox.bsw.com    Boston, Massachusetts 02109 (USA)