Numerical Recipes: Error in Chapter 12?

Pierre Asselin pa at appmag.com
Tue Mar 5 02:46:55 AEST 1991

splin at mowlavi.berkeley.edu (Steven Lin) writes:

~     Is the definition of the Fourier transform, (12.0.1), (12.0.3), (12.1.7),
~and elsewhere throughout the entire chapter incorrect?  Specifically, the
~exponential terms in (12.0.1) should be switched.  [...]

Partly arbitrary.  If you are a physicist, everything is OK.   If
you are an electrical engineer, change the sign of `i'.

The EE convention is more natural when dealing with time signals.
The physicist convention is handy for waves in space and time.

  --Pierre Asselin, R&D, Applied Magnetics Corp.  I speak for me.