Source File Organization

Mark Harrison harrison at necssd.NEC.COM
Tue Mar 5 01:03:45 AEST 1991

In article <1210 at telesoft.com>,
rlk at telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) writes:

> Folks, the intent was to ease an existing maintenance problem.  Adding
> preprocessors such as awk or m4 into the loop only trades one maintenance
> problem for another.

That is correct, but the new maintenance problem is easier.  Our "bells
and whistles" version of the preprocessor ended up being about three
pages of AWK that hardly ever needed to be touched.  (The only times we
did touch it was to make changes in the generated troff documentation
to fit our documentation dept's. style).

Using MAKE ensured that the preprocessed files stayed in sync.  Being
able to generate documentation saved us days over the old "red-pencil"
method of dealing with our documentation group.
--
Mark Harrison             harrison at necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison