64 bit architectures and C/C++

Phil Howard KA9WGN phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed May 1 11:22:42 AEST 1991

john at sco.COM (John R. MacMillan) writes:

>One problem with 32 bit ints and 64 bit pointers is that a lot of
>(bad) code assumes you can put a pointer into an int, and vice versa.

>...there is a lot of badly written code out there, and no matter what
>you do, you'll break somebody's bogus assumptions.  In particular a
>lot of code makes assumptions about pointer sizes, whether they'll fit
>in ints, and whether you can treat them like ints.

For how long should we keep porting code, especially BAD CODE?  This sounds
a lot like school systems that keep moving failing students up each year
and we know what that results in.

IMHO, no code older than 8 years should be permitted to be ported and if
it is found to be "bad" code then it must have been written more than 8
years ago.
--
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \