Complaint about Uniforum plenary sessions

Dave Stewart davest at daemon.UUCP
Sat Mar 2 07:26:02 AEST 1985

In article <788 at u1100a.UUCP> sdo at u1100a.UUCP (Scott Orshan) writes:
>I was a bit upset by the plenary (opening) talks each day at
>Uniforum.  Each speaker sounded like he was selling something.
>What I expected to hear were talks on the state of the art of the
>UNIX system, proposed new architectures and applications, and ...

	Uniforum is always the market-oriented "trade show" and
the Usenix conference is the technical conference.  Although I am
surprised that the Uniforum plenary sessions were so company-specific,
I am not surprised that they dealt with strictly marketing issues
as opposed to rising to the level of technical issues.  Our group
decided a year ago at Washington not to send people to Uniforum
any more because of this orientation and we are software engineers,
not marketeers.  Given the usual audience at Uniforum, most people
probably thought those talks were fantastic ...

--
David C. Stewart                          uucp:    tektronix!davest
Small Systems Support Group               csnet:   davest at TEKTRONIX